Assemblage: 100% Sémillon, Certified Sustainable Estate Grapes
Winemaking & Aging: Fermented and aged sur lees in neutral French oak puncheons for 5 months.
Vintage Notes: 2022 was a rollercoaster growing year which fortunately ended on a high note. The spring was wet and chilly, marked by near record precipitation and below average temperatures. We suffered a freeze on April 7th which affected buds; this combined with the cold and wet weather led us to anticipate a small crop and pushed our ripening season back by a month. Starting in July, mother nature decided to cooperate, and we experienced perfect ripening weather through October. We also managed to avoid smoke from wildfires. Harvest was late and compressed which tested wine makers not on quality, because conditions were exceptional, but on style and space because varietals ripened in short succession. The exceptional flavor development, lower sugars and softer skins and tannins will make 2022 a vintage to remember.
Winemakers Notes: Sémillon is a white grape hailing from Bordeaux which exhibits body, depth and concentration of flavor. On the nose, aromas of gooseberries, honeysuckle and honeydew melon are reminiscent of sweet tart candy. The palate is round and viscous with a mouthwatering salinity and pronounced citrus notes. This wine has a delightful finish that pairs well with food and is also enjoyable on its own.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- Due to it's body and fresh flavor, Sémillon holds up to dishes with bold aromatics. Try with Indian spices (but not too spicy), Asian spices and even brown woodsy spices like cinnamon and star anise.
- Pairs well with seafood of all types, but especially shellfish
- Lovely with light meats such as chicken, pork, veal or game birds
- Compliments buttery and creamy sauces and is delicious with a wide variety of cheese, especially richly flavored and nutty cow's milk and sheep's milk cheeses such as Compté and Gruyère
- For dessert: Cannoli with cream, any cake with honey or nuts such as baklava, spiced pumpkin pie or carrot cake
Owen Bargreen - 91 pts Dineen is one of the few vineyards in Washington that still has Sémillon planted. This edition is neatly textured with nectarine, walnut and shades of brioche flavors that combine with a good sense of tension. Drink 2023-2029
Wine Enthusiast - 91 pts (Editor's Choice) What a cool set of aromas—lemon zest, joined by a savory note reminiscent of sliced serrano ham on challah bread. Crisp acidity punctuates ripe cantaloupe and tart and tangy grapefruit à la a cold bottle of Fresca. Who can ask for more than bright, refreshing and interesting fun? - 91 pts (Editor's Choice)
Jancis Robinson - 16.5/20 (Distinguished) Sustainable WA certified. Pale lemon. Neutral and grassy with a touch of lemon. Textural and pithy. Quite chewy with long acidity. (SCJ) 13.2% Drink 2023 – 2026