Varietal Composition: 100% Merlot, Estate Grown in the Dineen Winery Block. Hand-picked on October 7, 2020
Aging: Fermented in stainless steel then barrel aged for 16 months in second use French oak from select cooperages
Vintage Notes: 2020 was a relatively warm year for Washington State with a significantly smaller crop than average. A freeze in the autumn of 2019 and some severe weather events in May 2020 impacted buds and fruit set which led to fewer and smaller clusters and berries. What we did not have in quantity certainly gave way to quality. Warm temperatures and sunshine in September and October allowed the berries to slowly develop sugars and flavors while maintaining acidity. Overall, a spectacular vintage showcasing aromatics and concentrated fruit.
Winemaker Notes: Dineen Vineyard's Merlot is known to be delicate and velvety, while also intensely-colored. This vintage is no exception. Delicious black cherry and floral aromas mingle with ripe blueberries, plums, violets and baking spice. In the mouth, the well-structured tannins provide structure while the juicy flavors of raspberry and black cherry provide a deliciously long finish. This wine is suitable to drink now and can age for 10 plus years.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- Herb-marinated steak, pork ribs or lamb; meats complimented with fresh-herb sauces such as chimichurri or persillade
- Roasted chicken and potatoes
- Pasta with red-sauce and a pinch of chili
- Grilled vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini or carrots
- Aged and tangy cheeses such as goat cheese, "old" gouda or Roquefort
- For dessert: Berries and Fruit, anything with a red fruit sauce