Assemblage: All grapes were hand-harvested from our Certified Sustainable Estate Vineyard on September 11, 2021.
- 97% Syrah
- 3% Viognier (used for co-fermentation)
Elévage: Whole clusteres of Viognier were co-fermented with the Syrah in stainless steel. Barrel aged for 23 months in new and once-used French oak from select cooperages.
Vintage Notes: 2021 was an unusual growing season in Washington, marked by a record-breaking heat which resulted in low yields. The most significant event was the historic “heat dome” in late June which sent temperatures in Zillah to upwards of 112 degrees. Our vineyard fared well during this heat as we watered liberally in advance and throughout. The rest of the summer remained hot with “Grower Degree Days” averaging 8% more than 2015; one of the warmest years in recent memory. Temperatures cooled in September and October allowing for extended ripening and for acids to hang on. Overall, the harvest was marked by small berries, loose clusters and excellent fruit quality.
Winemaker Notes: Emanating a bold and rich aromatic profile, the 2021 Syrah captivates with blackberry and red fruit notes, a robust and meaty character, and a tantalizing hint of spiciness, accentuated by green peppercorn. Vanilla and butterscotch undertones add depth, alongside ripe tree fruit accents. Its medium body and balanced acidity shine on the palate, joined by soft tannins that enhance its velvety texture. Cherry and black fruit flavors intertwine harmoniously, while hints of ripe apple, prunes, and cooked blueberries create a complex and satisfying tasting experience, culminating in a smooth and rewarding finish. This wine is wonderful now and it suitable for aging for up to 10 years.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- An easy match with all types and preparations of red meats including roasted lamb, grilled duck breast, sausages, steaks or braised dishes including osso bucco
- Rich vegetable dishes such as eggplant, lentils or French onion soup; anything prepared with garlic or fragrant herbs
- Charcuterie, cheeses and black olives
- Dark chocolate cake
Previous Vintage Ratings:
- Owen Bargreen - 2020 Dineen Vineyards Syrah- 91 pts
- Washington Wine Awards - 2020 Dineen Vineyards Syrah - 90 pts