Pepper and Corn Salad with Turmeric Dressing
This delicious combination of summer flavors takes advantage of the best of seasonal local produce. The coriander in the dressing pairs wonderfully with Riesling!
Turmeric salad dressing:
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 (4-inch) piece turmeric, peeled, chopped, or 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 3 ears of corn, husked
- 2 red bell peppers (use canned or jarred in a pinch)
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups mesclun greens or arugula
- Kosher salt
Pulse jalapeño, turmeric, ginger, garlic, cilantro, oil, lime zest, and lime juice in a food processor until smooth with a few flecks of cilantro. Transfer to a small bowl; season with salt.
- Prepare a grill for high heat. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until charred and cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Let cool; cut kernels off cobs and place in a large bowl. (Or, cut kernels from cobs and char in a dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high, 8–10 minutes. You can even broil in the oven)
- Heat broiler. Broil peppers on a rimmed baking sheet, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and nearly cooked through, 12–18 minutes. Let cool; cut into 1" strips, retaining as much charred skin as possible; add to corn.
- Add tomatoes and greens to corn; toss to combine. Drizzle dressing over and toss to coat; season with salt.