Pasta with zucchini and gorgonzola
The richness of the dolce latte offsets the acidity of the tomatoes and zucchini in this late summer pasta. Pairs nicely with a Dineen Heritage Blend!
Serves 4 as a main course or 5 as a starter
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/8 in slices
- 500g spaghetti (1 package)
- 4 oz gorgonzola cheese, crumbled into 1/2 inch chunks
- Optional: Parmesan (to taste – depending on the richness of your gorgonzola you may or may not want to add Parmesan)
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium to large saucepan over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic is just golden, about 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices into the pan. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed.
- Preheat the oven to Broil. Top and tail the zucchini and slice into 1/8 thick rounds. Place the slices in a bowl with the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place slices on a sheet pan (or 2) in a single layer and broil for 2 minutes or so until golden. Take out of the oven and flip slices. Broil for a further 2 minutes until opposite side is golden as well. Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as the label directs. Drain and add to the sauce. Mix until pasta is well coated. Stir in gorgonzola and 3/4 of zucchini.
- Serve and top with rest of zucchini and optional Parmesan.