Fried Zucchini Blossoms
In Italy, fried zucchini blossoms are the Aperitivo of the jet set. On the farm, we collect them from the garden (or the neighbor's garden) and enjoy them at the kitchen table....if they make it from counter to table!
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces chilled Pilsner, lager style beer or club soda
- Zucchini blossoms, about two dozen
- Sea salt
- In a large pot, heat about 2 inches of oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350° (if you don't have a thermometer, heat the oil for about 10 to 15 minutes)
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, then whisk in the beer until almost smooth. Some small lumps are welcome – don’t over whisk or you will deflate the batter
- One by one, dredge the blossoms in batter, shaking off the access; gently lay them in the oil without crowding the pan (approx. 2 inches between them)
- Cook, flipping once with the slotted spoon, until golden brown all over, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy while hot!