Foolproof Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
For the very best results, brine the chicken before it goes on the grill; sear it over the flames; finish cooking it on lower heat; then toss it in the marinade when it’s done.
Prep time: 6 hours for brining + 30-40 minutes on the grill
- 4 quarts cold water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 5 ½ to 6 lbs chicken parts with skin and bones
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 minced large garlic clove
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Brine Chicken and Make Marinade:
- Bring water, sugar and ½ cup salt to boil in a 6 to 8 quart heavy pot, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Cool brine completely, then add chicken and soak, covered and chilled, for 6 hours
- Remove chicken and pat dry
- Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. Then add olive oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined.
To Grill Chicken:
- Preheat grill for about 10 minutes to high heat, then reduce to medium high
- Sear chicken in 2 batches on lightly oiled grill rack, covered with lid, turning over once, until well browned (approx. 6-8 minutes for thighs, drumsticks and wings; 8-10 minutes for breast halves).
- Reduce heat and continue to cook chicken, with lid closed, for another 15-20 minutes until done. While cooking, move chicken around grill to avoid flare ups.
- When cooked, transfer chicken to bowl with marinade and turn to coat, then transfer to a serving platter and keep warm, loosely covered with foil.
Note: Chicken can be brined 1 day ahead. Remove from brine after 6 hours, pat dry and chill, covered.