Assemblage: From Certified Sustainable Estate Grapes
- 48% Viognier
- 52% Roussanne
Winemaking & Aging: Fermented and aged sur lees in neutral French oak for 6 months.
Vintage Notes: 2022 was a rollercoaster growing year which fortunately ended on a high note. The spring was wet and chilly, marked by near record precipitation and below average temperatures. We suffered a freeze on April 7th which affected buds; this combined with the cold and wet weather led us to anticipate a small crop and pushed our ripening season back by a month. Starting in July, mother nature decided to cooperate, and we experienced perfect ripening weather through October. We also managed to avoid smoke from wildfires. Harvest was late and compressed which tested wine makers not on quality, because conditions were exceptional, but on style and space because varietals ripened in short succession. The exceptional flavor development, lower sugars and softer skins and tannins will make 2022 a vintage to remember.
Winemakers Notes: Our Rhône-style white sparkles with a golden color. The Viognier contributes the aromatics, which are exceptional. The nose is filled with interweaving aromas of fresh cantaloupe, pear, dried apricots and a hint of lees and vanilla. The palate has a wonderful round and smooth viscosity combined with well-structured acidity that creates a mouthwatering mid palate. Flavors of lemon grass, green papaya and spring crocus and an agave sweetness intrigue the taste buds. This is a foodies wine with a creamy and soft finish. It is suitable to drink now or age.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- Seafood of all types, including sushi, sashimi, oysters, clams, lobster and most rich, as well as delicate seafood dishes
- Lovely with light meats such as chicken, pork or veal
- Compliments buttery, creamy or other savoury sauces; i.e. pastas with buttery, pesto or cheese sauces, truffles, smoked salmon
- Delicious with a wide variety of cheese, including sharp cheddar, Gouda, Manchego, Brie and Camembert
- For Dessert: Pear or apricot tartes; pastry with cream such as cheesecake
Wine Enthusiast - 93pts (Editor's Choice)