- 52% Viognier
- 48% Roussanne
Winemaking & Aging: Fermented and aged sur lees in 25% new and 75% neutral French oak for 7 months.
Vintage Notes: 2021 was an unusual growing season in Washington, marked by a record-breaking heat which resulted in low yields. The most significant event impacting yield was the historic “heat dome” in late June which sent temperatures in Zillah to upwards of 112 degrees. Our vineyard fared well during this heat as we watered liberally in advance and throughout. The rest of the summer remained hot with “Grower Degree Days” averaging 8% more than 2015 which was considered one of the warmest years in recent memory. Temperatures did cool down allowing for extended ripening in September. This allowed for acids to hang on. Overall, the harvest was marked by low yields, with small berries and loose clusters, but excellent fruit quality.
This dry Rhône-style white sparkles in the glass with a deep golden hue. The Viognier contributes the aromatics; which are exceptional. The nose is filled with interweaving aromas of tropical and stone fruits, granny smith apples, white flower blossoms and hints of brioche, vanilla and minerality. The palate has a wonderful round and smooth viscosity which fills the mouth with flavor, framed within well-structured and mouth watering acidity which comes from the Roussanne. This is a foodies wine with an intense finish. It is suitable to drink now and will age beautifully.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- Seafood of all types, including sushi, sashimi, oysters, clams, lobster and most rich, as well as delicate seafood dishes
- Lovely with light meats such as chicken, pork or veal
- Compliments buttery, creamy or other savoury sauces; i.e. pastas with buttery, pesto or cheese sauces, truffles, smoked salmon
- Delicious with a wide variety of cheese, including sharp cheddar, Gouda, Manchego, Brie and Camembert
- For Dessert: Pear or apricot tartes; pastry with cream such as cheesecake