Varietal Composition: 44% Viognier, 56% Roussanne
Winemaking: Fermented in stainless steel, then put through partial malolactic fermentation and aged in neutral French oak for 6 months. Filtered before bottling for a clean finish.
Vintage Notes: 2020 was a relatively warm year for Washington State with a significantly smaller crop than average. A freeze in the autumn and some severe weather events in May impacted buds and fruit set which led to fewer and smaller clusters and berries. What we did not have in quantity certainly gave way to quality. Warm temperatures in September and October allowed the berries to slowly develop sugars and flavors while maintaining acidity. Overall, a spectacular vintage showcasing aromatics and concentrated fruit. The grapes for this blend were hand-picked on September 11, 2020.
Tasting Notes: This Rhône-style white is dry and pale gold in color. The aromatics are exceptional and exhibit an old-world profile. The nose is filled with interweaving aromas of honeysuckle, apple blossom and a hint of lees and vanilla. The palate has a wonderful round and smooth viscosity that is framed inside well-structured acidity. This is a foodies wine with a creamy and soft finish. It is suitable to drink now or age.
Recommended Food Pairings:
- Seafood of all types, including sushi, sashimi, oysters, clams, lobster and most rich, as well as delicate seafood dishes
- Lovely with light meats such as chicken, pork or veal
- Compliments buttery, creamy or other savoury sauces; i.e. pastas with buttery, pesto or cheese sauces, truffles, smoked salmon
- Delicious with a wide variety of cheese, including mild cheddar, Gouda, Manchego, Brie and Camembert
- For Dessert: Pear or apricot tartes; pastry with cream such as cheesecake