Walnut & Almond Cake
Looking for a delicious dessert to pair with a bold red? You are welcome.
This cake is rich owing to the walnuts and chocolate, but not too sweet. Pairs perfectly with a Dineen Heritage Blend or Cabernet Sauvignon. Enjoy heaven!
- 380 gm softened unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 380 gm granulated sugar
- 380 gm blanched whole almonds, finely ground
- 3 vanilla beans, very finely chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 200 gm walnuts, finely chopped
- 100 gm (2/3 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 125 ml amaretto
- 200 gm chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids; coarsely chopped
- 50 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 320F, and butter and flour a 10 inch-diameter cake tin. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and light (6-8 minutes). Stir in ground almonds and vanilla, then beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Fold in walnuts, flour and baking powder, then fold in amaretto. Spoon into cake tin and bake until a skewer withdraws clean (1¼-1½ hours). Set aside to cool briefly, then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for chocolate icing, melt chocolate and butter in a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, and stir occasionally until combined (3-4 minutes). Spread over cake with a hot, wet palette knife, cut into slices and serve.